Friday, March 22, 2013

La Dura Dura


February 7th, Adam Ondra completed the first ever ascent of La Dura Dura in Oliana, Spain.
This is one of the hardest sport climbs to date. Ondra gave the route a grade of 5.15c which is one of the highest grades possible for a climb. He said that he feels it was harder than his first 5.15c ascent being the 180ft route called Change, located in the Hanshelleren cave near Flatanger, Norway, which he sent in October 2012. Adam called this route his obsession during his training, and made many trips to Spain devoted just to La Dura Dura. But all the hard work has finally paid off, and after 9 weeks of working the route he did manage to make the first ascent."It was 2nd day on, my forearms felt sore in the morning. I was thinking of calling it a rest day... But I was less nervous and battled through the bottom and got very pumped to the 2nd crux, where I didn't fall despite no expectations. Sticking the jug, I felt like having a heat attack but I kept it together. 9b+ it is :)" This is crazy just to read and shows his extreme dedication to the climb.

1 comment:

  1. I think you misspelled the name of the cliff. It's pronounced "La Durka Durka."

    ReplyDelete